Current:Home > NewsActivists in Hong Kong hold first protest in years under strict new rules -Pinnacle Profit Strategies
Activists in Hong Kong hold first protest in years under strict new rules
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:58:06
Dozens of people on Sunday joined Hong Kong's first authorized protest since the lifting of major COVID-19 restrictions under unprecedentedly strict rules, including wearing a numbered badge around their necks.
The rules set out by the police, who cited security reasons, came as the financial hub was promoting its return to normalcy after years of anti-virus controls and political turmoil.
During the pandemic, protests were rare due to COVID-19 restrictions. In addition, many activists have been silenced or jailed after Beijing imposed a national security law following massive protests in 2019. Critics say the city's freedom of assembly that was promised Hong Kong when it returned to China from Britain in 1997 has been eroded.
Sunday's demonstration against the proposed reclamation and construction of rubbish-processing facilities was the first police-approved march of its kind after the city scrapped its mask mandate and social distancing limits.
But organizers had to comply with police requirements such as taking measures to ensure the number of participants would not exceed the expected turnout of 100 people and asking for proof of a "reasonable excuse" from protesters who wore masks during the event. At the height of the 2019 anti-government movement, Hong Kong's government invoked emergency powers to ban masks from public gatherings so it can identify protesters who officials accused of illegal acts.
On Sunday, about 80 people expressed their opposition to the plans in Tseung Kwan O, a residential and industrial area, the organizer said. They had to walk in a cordoned-off moving line in the rain amid heavy police presence.
Theresa Wang described the new restrictions as "a bit weird" but said they were still acceptable because the city was adjusting to "the new Hong Kong."
"I'm not happy but we have to accept it. We have to accept what is deemed legal now," the 70-year-old retiree said, adding that she hoped the protest would be a sign the government is more open to discussion.
Protester Jack Wong said he would prefer not to wear the badge printed with a number. Police said earlier the requirement aims to prevent lawbreakers from joining the march.
"But if it is a requirement, what can I say? I prefer not to comment further. You know what I mean," he said.
In granting its approval, police also requested that organizers ensure there would not be any acts that might endanger national security, including displaying anything seditious.
Cyrus Chan, one of the march organizers, said demonstrators had communicated with police on their promotional materials and slogans. Officers earlier had told him that participants should not wear all-black outfits, he said. Protesters commonly wore black during the 2019 protests.
"It's definitely strict," Chan said. "We hope this is just an individual case. We hope to show them that Hong Kong society has the ability to have peaceful marches and they do not need to set that many conditions to restrict us."
Earlier this month, the Hong Kong Women Workers' Association planned a march to call for labor and women's rights but canceled it at the last moment without specifying why.
Days later, the association said on its Facebook page that police had invited it for further meetings after granting it the approval and that it had tried its best to amend the agreement. But it still could not launch the protest as it had wished, it wrote at that time.
A pro-democracy group separately said national security police had warned four of its members not to participate in the association's march.
- In:
- Hong Kong
- Protests
veryGood! (958)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Tom Sandoval Apologizes to Ariana Madix for His “Reckless Decisions” Amid Breakup
- Angela Bassett, Hilary Duff and More Stars Share How They're Raising Strong Daughters
- Pope Francis, day after being discharged from hospital, presides over Palm Sunday Mass
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Cheryl Burke Reacts to Ex Matthew Lawrence’s Romance With Chilli
- Ecuador police defuse bomb strapped to guard by suspects demanding extortion money
- Garcelle Beauvais Has Thoughts About Her Son Oliver Saunders Kissing Raquel Leviss on VPR
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Why Jenna Ortega Doesn't Give a S—t About Her Recent Wardrobe Malfunction
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- What America's Startup Boom Could Mean For The Economy
- Shop Coach Outlet's Heart Cherry Handbags on Sale for the Perfect New Spring Accessory
- As Finland gets NATO membership, here's what it means and why it matters
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Garcelle Beauvais Has Thoughts About Her Son Oliver Saunders Kissing Raquel Leviss on VPR
- This Outer Banks Stunt Double Editing Error Is Too Good to Ignore
- Russia claims woman admits to carrying bomb that killed pro-war blogger in St. Petersburg cafe
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
San Francisco drag legend Heklina reportedly found dead in London
Why Women Everywhere Love Reese Witherspoon's Draper James
Paul Rusesabagina, Hotel Rwanda hero, arrives in U.S. after being freed from prison
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
U.S. drone strike in Syria kills ISIS leader who was plotting attacks in Europe, U.S. military says
Jeff Bezos Built Amazon 27 Years Ago. He Now Steps Down As CEO At Critical Time
The Eye of the Tiger Is on Zendaya With Bold Paris Fashion Week Look