Current:Home > FinanceCase against man accused in NYC subway chokehold death moves forward -Pinnacle Profit Strategies
Case against man accused in NYC subway chokehold death moves forward
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 18:21:15
A New York judge has declined to dismiss the case of Daniel Penny, the man charged with manslaughter for killing Jordan Neely in a chokehold onboard a subway car in May, the New York County District Attorney's Office said Wednesday morning.
Penny was charged with manslaughter after putting 30-year-old Neely, a Black man experiencing homelessness, in a chokehold from behind after Neely was acting erratically on the subway, according to witnesses.
A medical examiner ruled Neely's death a homicide caused by depression of the neck.
Defense lawyers for Penny had filed a motion for the case to be dismissed, arguing Penny did not intend to harm Neely and that several witnesses feared for their lives that day on the subway.
Now that a judge has denied the defense's motion to dismiss the case, it will continue to move forward and likely go to trial. The next conference meeting in the case is scheduled for March 20, the district attorney's office told USA TODAY on Wednesday.
On May 1, Neely started shouting on the train and threw his jacket on the floor, according to more than a dozen witnesses. He was acting erratically, witnesses said, but he did not have a weapon or hit or strike anyone.
In recent months, lawyers on each side have argued that the other side's evidence cherry-picks witness accounts in order to exaggerate or downplay the fear Neely caused on the subway car when he began yelling and saying he was ready to fight.
Witness accounts vary, lawyers say, in part because Neely was not in the direct line of vision of all passengers on the crowded subway car that morning.
Following Neely's outbursts, Penny, who is white, approached him from behind and placed him in a chokehold for several minutes, including after Neely stopped resisting.
Penny was first indicted on manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide charges in June and pleaded not guilty.
Penny's legal team fought to dismiss the case, arguing a reasonable person in their client's position onboard the subway car could have also felt force was necessary to prevent Neely from harming other passengers.
If Penny is tried in criminal court for second-degree manslaughter, a jury would be tasked with finding whether he engaged in reckless conduct that created an unjustifiable risk of death to Neely, and then consciously disregarded that risk.
Prosecutors with New York's district attorney's office also argued more evidence in the case is needed to be considered, including witness accounts from some subway passengers who said outbursts like Neely's were not out of ordinary on New York City public transportation.
The New York district attorney's office said prosecutors could not comment on pending case but shared their court filings.
Who was Jordan Neely?
Neely was experiencing homelessness and poor mental health in the months leading up to his death, lawyers for his family said last year, adding that his mental health struggles began at age 14 after his mother was killed.
In adulthood, Neely was a street and subway performer known for his impersonation of Michael Jackson, which he often did in Times Square. He grew up in a family of musicians, according to lawyers for his family. Neely's mother was a singer and his father performed in a band.
In the years leading up to his death, Neely experienced homelessness off and on, according to his family's lawyers. Sometimes, he lived with his aunt and her partner, and other times he lived at a Manhattan shelter or on the streets.
In the months and weeks leading up to his death, there were times when Neely got mental health treatment at a facility, according to lawyers for his family.
In an interview with USA TODAY, one of the family's lawyers shared how Neely's mother was strangled at age 36 in the apartment where she and her teen son lived, leading to Neely's mental health decline at 14.
The woman's boyfriend strangled her in her bedroom and when her son tried to tell his mother goodbye before leaving for school that day, her murderer told him his mother was asleep and not to bother her, Lennon Edwards, a lawyer for Neely's family, told USA TODAY last year.
When 14-year-old Neely returned home that afternoon, he learned the man had stuffed his mother's body in a suitcase and threw it onto a highway in the Bronx.
"That's the kind of trauma that can cause anyone to unravel," Edwards said. "This is a family that's extremely burdened."
What did Daniel Penny do?
More than a dozen witnesses have given varying accounts of what happened onboard the Manhattan-bound F train in the moments leading to Neely's death.
According to bystanders, Neely had been yelling about how hungry and tired he was, saying, "I don’t have food, I don’t have a drink, I’m fed up, I don’t mind going to jail and getting life in prison. I’m ready to die," in the moments before Penny held him in a chokehold for six minutes.
Video captured by a freelance journalist who was also riding the subway shows Penny with his arms wrapped around Neely's neck and his legs wrapped around the man's waist and thighs from behind.
After a few minutes, Penny releases Neely from his grasp and he lies motionless on the floor of the subway car, which is stopped at the Broadway-Lafayette MTA station, the video shows.
Police have said they responded the afternoon of May 1 to a 911 call about a "physical fight" inside the station and when they arrived, they found Neely unconscious and unresponsive.
Penny was questioned by police in the immediate aftermath of Neely's death but was released without charges. Over a week later, Penny turned himself in to authorities the morning after prosecutors announced he would be charged with manslaughter.
Prosecutors file motion to take more evidence to trial
District attorneys said in court filings that the large number of passenger witnesses had varying accounts of what happened on board the subway car.
"Witnesses differ in what they were able to see and hear at various times during the encounter as well as in their own subjective assessment of the level of danger posed by Mr. Neely that day," prosecutors wrote.
Prosecutors have argued evidence provided by the defense omitted "accounts that undermine the notion of rampant and universal panic."
In court filings, prosecutors point to one such account from a witness who told investigators, “For me, it was like another day typically in New York. That’s what I’m used to seeing."
Prosecutors also argue that not a single witness said that Neely came into physical contact with any individual until the defendant put him in a chokehold that would turn lethal.
veryGood! (912)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Julio Urías' locker removed from Dodgers' clubhouse; Dave Roberts says team is moving on
- Stock market today: Asian shares trade mixed after Big Tech rally on Wall Street
- Luis Rubiales resigns as Spain's soccer federation president after unwanted World Cup kiss
- Trump's 'stop
- Candidate in high-stakes Virginia election performed sex acts with husband in live videos
- As US East Coast ramps up offshore wind power projects, much remains unknown
- How Paul Walker's Beautiful Bond With Daughter Meadow Walker Lives On
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- Drew Barrymore to return amid writer's strike. Which other daytime talk shows will follow?
Ranking
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Morocco earthquake leaves at least 2,000 dead, damages historic landmarks and topples buildings
- American explorer who got stuck 3,000 feet underground in Turkish cave could be out tonight
- Gen. Mark Milley on seeing through the fog of war in Ukraine
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- In Iran, snap checkpoints and university purges mark the first anniversary of Mahsa Amini protests
- Kim Zolciak Says She and Kroy Biermann Are Living as “Husband and Wife” Despite Second Divorce Filing
- A timeline of the complicated relations between Russia and North Korea
Recommendation
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Kim Zolciak Says She and Kroy Biermann Are Living as “Husband and Wife” Despite Second Divorce Filing
Canadian man charged with murdering four Muslims was inspired by white nationalism, prosecutors say
Spotless giraffe seen in Namibia, weeks after one born at Tennessee zoo
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
What to know about a major rescue underway to bring a US researcher out of a deep Turkish cave
Western Balkan heads of state press for swift approval of their European Union membership bids
1958 is calling. It wants its car back! Toyota Land Cruiser 2024 is a spin on old classic