Current:Home > NewsProtesters calling for Gaza cease-fire block road at Tacoma port while military cargo ship docks -Pinnacle Profit Strategies
Protesters calling for Gaza cease-fire block road at Tacoma port while military cargo ship docks
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:34:26
TACOMA, Wash. (AP) — Hundreds of pro-Palestinian protesters calling for a cease-fire in Gaza blocked traffic Monday at the Port of Tacoma, where a military supply ship had recently arrived.
Organizers said they opposed the Israel-Hamas war and targeted the vessel — the Cape Orlando — based on confidential information that it was to be loaded with weapons bound for Israel.
Those claims could not immediately be corroborated. In an emailed statement, Air Force Lt. Col. Bryon J. McGarry, a spokesperson for the Department of Defense, confirmed that the vessel is under the control of the U.S. Navy’s Military Sealift Command and is supporting the movement of U.S. military cargo.
“Due to operations security, DoD does not provide transit or movement details or information regarding the cargo embarked on vessels of this kind,” McGarry said.
The Cape Orlando drew similar protests in Oakland, California, where it docked on Friday before it sailed to Tacoma. About 300 protesters delayed its departure, and the U.S. Coast Guard detained three people who climbed onto the ship.
The three were released on a pier in San Francisco, Petty Officer Hunter Schnabel said Monday. He said investigations are ongoing against the three and others who had breached the federal maritime area.
By midmorning Monday, about 200 protesters remained at the Port of Tacoma, some carrying signs reading “No Aid For Israel” and “Free All Palestinian Prisoners,” emblazoned with watermelons, a symbol of Palestinian freedom. No arrests had been made, said officer Shelbie Boyd, a spokesperson for the Tacoma Police Department.
The protesters’ goal was to block the Cape Orlando from being loaded, said Wassim Hage, with the San Francisco-based Arab Resource and Organizing Center.
“It speaks to the historic moment where people are coming out to say, ‘No. No funding for genocide, no U.S. bombs for bombing hospitals and killing children in Gaza,’” he said Monday.
The International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 23, which represents workers at the Port of Tacoma, did not immediately returned phone messages from the Associated Press on Monday.
Gaza’s Hamas-run Health Ministry said more than 10,000 Palestinians have been killed in nearly a month of war in Gaza, and more than 4,000 of those killed are children and minors. That toll likely will rise as Israeli troops advance into dense, urban neighborhoods.
___
Associated Press reporter Janie Har in San Francisco contributed to this report.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- You may owe the IRS money on Monday — skipping payment could cost you hundreds of dollars
- The anti-abortion movement is making a big play to thwart citizen initiatives on reproductive rights
- Crews rescue 30 people trapped upside down high on Oregon amusement park ride
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Decomposed remains of an infant found in Kentucky are likely missing 8-month-old girl, police say
- Best-Selling Beauty Products from Amazon’s Internet Famous Section That Are Totally Worth the Hype
- A far-right pastor challenges the Indiana GOP gubernatorial nominee’s choice for running mate
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Jodie Turner-Smith Breaks Silence on Ex Joshua Jackson's Romance With Lupita Nyong'o
Ranking
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Firefighter killed in explosion while battling front end loader fire in Southern California
- Judge rejects religious leaders’ challenge of Missouri abortion ban
- Elephant in Thailand unexpectedly gives birth to rare set of miracle twins
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Wildfire north of Los Angeles spreads as authorities issue evacuation orders
- Joey Chestnut, banned from Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, to compete against Takeru Kobayashi on Netflix
- NBA great Jerry West wasn't just the logo. He was an ally for Black players
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
CM Punk gives update on injury, expects to be cleared soon
My autistic brother fought an unaccepting world. My graduating students give me hope.
Horoscopes Today, June 15, 2024
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
A man died after falling into a manure tanker at a New York farm. A second man who tried to help also fell in and died.
Decomposed remains of an infant found in Kentucky are likely missing 8-month-old girl, police say
A far-right pastor challenges the Indiana GOP gubernatorial nominee’s choice for running mate