Current:Home > StocksEthermac Exchange-Judge alters Trump’s gag order, letting him talk about witnesses, jury after hush money conviction -Pinnacle Profit Strategies
Ethermac Exchange-Judge alters Trump’s gag order, letting him talk about witnesses, jury after hush money conviction
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 18:42:58
NEW YORK (AP) — A Manhattan judge on Ethermac ExchangeTuesday modified Donald Trump’s gag order, freeing the former president to comment publicly about witnesses and jurors in the hush money criminal trial that led to his felony conviction, but keeping others connected to the former president’s case off limits until he is sentenced July 11.
Judge Juan M. Merchan’s decision — just days before Trump’s debate Thursday with President Joe Biden — clears the presumptive Republican nominee to again go on the attack against his former lawyer Michael Cohen, porn actor Stormy Daniels and other witnesses. Trump was convicted in New York on May 30 of falsifying records to cover up a potential sex scandal, making him the first ex-president convicted of a crime.
In a five-page ruling Tuesday, Merchan wrote that the gag order was meant to “protect the integrity of the judicial proceedings” and that protections for witnesses and jurors no longer applied now that the trial has ended and the jury has been discharged.
Merchan said it had been his “strong preference” to continue barring Trump from commenting about jurors but that he couldn’t justify doing so. The judge did leave in place a separate order that prohibits Trump and his lawyers from disclosing the identities of individual jurors or their home or work addresses. Trump lawyer Todd Blanche said after the verdict the defense team has destroyed that information.
“There is ample evidence to justify continued concern for the jurors,” Merchan wrote.
Merchan also left in place a ban on Trump commenting about court staffers, the prosecution team and their families until he is sentenced, writing that they must “continue to perform their lawful duties free from threats, intimidation, harassment, and harm.” That portion of the gag order does not prohibit Trump from commenting about the judge himself or District Attorney Alvin Bragg, whose office prosecuted the case.
Trump’s lawyers had urged Merchan to lift the gag order completely, arguing there was nothing to warrant continued restrictions on Trump’s First Amendment rights after the trial’s conclusion. Trump has said that the gag order has prevented him from defending himself while Cohen and Daniels have continued to pillory him.
Though largely a win for Trump, his campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung criticized Tuesday’s ruling as “another unlawful decision by a highly conflicted judge, which is blatantly un-American as it gags President Trump, the leading candidate in the 2024 Presidential Election during the upcoming Presidential Debate on Thursday.”
Cheung said Trump and his lawyers “will immediately challenge today’s unconstitutional order,” arguing that the portions of the gag order still in effect prevent him from speaking about the judge, whom he alleges had a conflict of interest, or repeating his unfounded claims that Biden directed the prosecution.
The Manhattan DA’s office had asked Merchan to keep the gag order’s ban on comments about jurors in place at least until Trump is sentenced on July 11, but said last week they would be OK with allowing Trump to comment about witnesses now that the trial is over.
A message seeking comment was left with the Manhattan DA’s office.
Trump was convicted on 34 counts of falsifying business records arising from what prosecutors said was an attempt to cover up a hush money payment to Daniels just before the 2016 presidential election. She claims she had a sexual encounter with Trump a decade earlier, which he denies.
The crime is punishable by up to four years behind bars, but prosecutors have not said if they would seek incarceration and it’s unclear if Merchan would impose such a sentence. Other options include a fine or probation.
Following his conviction, Trump complained that he was under a “nasty gag order,” while also testing its limits. In remarks a day after his conviction, Trump referred to Cohen, as “a sleazebag,” though not by name.
In a subsequent Newsmax interview, Trump took issue with jury and its makeup, complaining about Manhattan, “It’s a very, very liberal democrat area so I knew we were in deep trouble,” and claiming: “I never saw a glimmer of a smile from the jury. No, this was a venue that was very unfair. A tiny fraction of the people are Republicans.”
Trump’s lawyers, who said they were under the impression the gag order would end with a verdict, wrote a letter to Merchan on June 4 asking him to lift the order.
Prosecutors urged Merchan to keep the gag order’s ban on comments about jurors and trial staff in place “at least through the sentencing hearing and the resolution of any post-trial motions.” They argued that the judge had “an obligation to protect the integrity of these proceedings and the fair administration of justice.”
Merchan issued Trump’s gag order on March 26, a few weeks before the start of the trial, after prosecutors raised concerns about the presumptive Republican presidential nominee’s propensity to assail people involved in his cases.
Merchan later expanded it to prohibit comments about his own family after Trump made social media posts attacking the judge’s daughter, a Democratic political consultant.
During the trial, Merchan held Trump in contempt of court, fined him $10,000 for violating the gag order and threatened to put him in jail if he did it again.
In seeking to lift the order, Trump lawyers Todd Blanche and Emil Bove argued that Trump was entitled to “unrestrained campaign advocacy” in light of Biden’s public comments about the verdict, and Cohen and Daniels ′ continued public criticism.
__
Associated Press reporter Jill Colvin contributed to this report.
veryGood! (23)
Related
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Lowriding is more than just cars. It’s about family and culture for US Latinos
- Utah mother who raised over $1 million for her funeral dies from cancer
- Two men shot during Pennsylvania assassination attempt on Trump say Secret Service failed them
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Cavaliers break ground on new state-of-the-art training facility scheduled to open in 2027
- Netflix promotes Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul with trailer that shows fighters' knockout power
- Halle Bailey Details “Crippling Anxiety” Over Leaving Son Halo for Work After DDG Split
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Sofia Richie Shares New Glimpse at Baby Girl Eloise
Ranking
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Cowboys' Jerry Jones gets testy in fiery radio interview: 'That's not your job'
- Opinion: 'Do you think I'm an idiot?' No, but Dallas owner Jerry Jones remains the problem
- Sofia Richie Shares New Glimpse at Baby Girl Eloise
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Error-prone Jets' season continues to slip away as mistakes mount
- Dolphins quarterback Tua Tagovailoa expected to play again this season
- More than 400 7-Eleven US stores to close by end of the year
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
12-year-old boy dies after tree falls on him due to 'gusty winds' in New Jersey backyard
'A piece of all of us': Children lost in the storm, mourned in Hurricane Helene aftermath
Columbus Blue Jackets memorialize Johnny Gaudreau, hoist '13' banner
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
New lawsuits accuse Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs of sexual assault against 6 people, including a minor
Paris car show heats up with China-Europe rivalry as EV tariffs loom
Why Nina Dobrev’s Ex Austin Stowell Jokes He’s Dating “300 People”