Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Pinnacle Profit Strategies
Benjamin Ashford|Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 18:53:29
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Benjamin Ashfordagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (359)
Related
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Taco John's has given up its 'Taco Tuesday' trademark after a battle with Taco Bell
- An ultra-processed diet made this doctor sick. Now he's studying why
- In a Famed Game Park Near the Foot of Mount Kilimanjaro, the Animals Are Giving Up
- 'Most Whopper
- A New Push Is on in Chicago to Connect Urban Farmers With Institutional Buyers Like Schools and Hospitals
- In Court, the Maryland Public Service Commission Quotes Climate Deniers and Claims There’s No Such Thing as ‘Clean’ Energy
- Kevin Costner Ordered in Divorce Docs to Pay Estranged Wife Christine $129K Per Month in Child Support
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- 10 years ago Detroit filed for bankruptcy. It makes a comeback but there are hurdles
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Britney Spears Recalls Going Through A Lot of Therapy to Share Her Story in New Memoir
- Across New York, a Fleet of Sensor-Equipped Vehicles Tracks an Array of Key Pollutants
- A former teen idol takes on crypto
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Why the Feared Wave of Solar Panel Waste May Be Smaller and Arrive Later Than We Expected
- In-N-Out Burger bans employees in 5 states from wearing masks
- Shop Amazon Prime Day 2023 Deals on Ninja Air Fryers, Blenders, Grills, Toaster Ovens, and More
Recommendation
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Fracking Waste Gets a Second Look to Ease Looming West Texas Water Shortage
Save $28 on This TikTok-Famous Strivectin Tightening Neck Cream Before Prime Day 2023 Ends
Ryan Reynolds, John Legend and More Stars React to 2023 Emmy Nominations
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Louisiana Regulators Are Not Keeping Up With LNG Boom, Environmentalists Say
“Strong and Well” Jamie Foxx Helps Return Fan’s Lost Purse During Outing in Chicago
Raises Your Glasses High to Vanderpump Rules' First Ever Emmy Nominations